ER vs Family Doctor Clinic
If there is a concern that you have broken a bone, then you need an x-ray.
If you come to the Family Doctor:
- We do not have x-rays in the clinic.
- We can order an x-ray, but it will likely take 1-3 days for you to actually get the x-ray done and for the doctor to get the result. (Longer if it’s a Friday, because it won’t get done until the following week).
- If there is a broken bone, the Family Doctor cannot do a splint or cast in clinic.
- So, you’ll need to go to the ER anyway for a cast/splint.
- Or, the family doctor can refer you to an orthopedic specialist, but that could take an additional week to be seen.
- The point is, if there is a broken bone, it will take A WEEK OR LONGER for you to actually get treatment!
If you go to the ER:
- You get an immediate x-ray and immediate result.
- If there is a broken bone, the ER doctor will cast or splint you right away.