If you smoke cigarettes, quitting smoking is probably the #1 BEST THING you can do for your health. (It is also one of the most difficult).
Here is a great video by Dr. Mike Evans on quitting smoking. If you smoke, please take the 12 minutes to watch it. It’s worth it!!
- Here is an excellent, thorough site by Ontario Health. Definitely worth your time to check it out.
- Public Health website offers resources to help quit smoking. More specifically, they offer “We Can Quit” Smoking Clinics.
- You may wish to call the Smokers’ Helpline at 1-877-513-3333 or visit their website for free resources and counselling.
- Break It Off is a great website and resource for young adults wishing to quit smoking. They even have a free smartphone app and text/phone support.
- Some people may find the approach used by QuitRunChill to helpful. This is a free web program for smokers & ex-smokers. It’s based on the assumption that almost everyone wants to be a bit healthier.
- Crush the Crave is a free, easy-to-use smartphone app that helps you stop smoking and start living a healthy life.
- Don’t Quit Quitting is another website you may wish to try.
WHAT ABOUT MEDICATIONS TO HELP?
Some people prefer to try to quit “cold turkey”, but that approach may not work for everyone. People often need additional help.
Before turning to prescription medications, it is now recommended that you try some form of Nicotine Replacement Therapy to help reduce the cravings that occur when a person tries to quit smoking.
There are many different types of Nicotine Replacement Therapy: patches, gums, nasal sprays, inhalers, or lozenges. All of these are available over-the-counter, without prescription, from your local pharmacy. Ask your pharmacist for advice on how to use these products.
Prescription medications to help quit smoking may not be for everyone, but if you are interested these, contact your doctor to discuss.
A BOOK THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE FOUND HELPFUL:
There is a famous book, written by Allen Carr, that has worked very well for some people. The book is a little unconventional, but it may really be helpful for people who feel they are not even ready to quit. It may help some people think about smoking in a different way. The book is called “Easy Way to Stop Smoking“. There are even audiobook versions, or copies to loan from your local library.
If you are interested in more information, here is Allen Carr’s website.