WHY YOU DON’T NEED AN ANNUAL PHYSICAL:
- The old “Annual Physical” used to be a visit when the doctor could review your file to ensure that all routine tests were up to date.
- With the computers in our office, we always have reminders that tell us when your tests are overdue. Therefore, an “Annual Physical” is no longer required for this purpose.
- The “Annual Physical” was also a time for a complete ‘head-to-toe’ examination. However, research has shown that this type of exam does not provide any benefit.
- Sometimes, people confuse the term “Annual Physical” with exams like their “PAP smear” test. Please note that these are not the same thing. Women from 21 to 70 years of age should still have a PAP smear test every three years, or yearly if you have ever had an abnormal PAP smear in the past.
“MORE” IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER …
INSTEAD OF ASKING TO BOOK A “PHYSICAL” …
- Ask to book a visit for a specific concern(s) that you may have.
- Ask if you have any blood work, tests, or cancer screens that are overdue. These can often be booked without actually seeing your doctor.
- Ask to book a visit for a PAP test if that is what you are specifically concerned about.